Tuesday 21 August 2012

Best Mille Crepe? - Humble Beginnings, Bangsar

What better way to start off the blog with some sweet desserts! Recently I went down to Bangsar to find one of the best mille crepe in town in a small cafe called Humble Beginnings.

A Humble Beginning
I've recently came back to Malaysia just a few weeks ago from a 3-year course in UK so I didn't really know about mille crepe but what I heard is that it's sort of like mille feuille except that it has more flavors and it's made of crepe which is AWESOME!


The Interior

As I first stepped in to the cafe I noticed the lovely orange tulips (correct me if I'm wrong!) spreading across the cafe which is quite a nice touch and it really adds a personal feel to the cafe and since it is a small cafe (sharing with Subway next door) it also gives a really home-y feel to it.

The Cakes!
There are quite a lot of cakes to choose from and from what I heard the cakes are made fresh daily which increases the awesomeness of this sweet dessert.

Mille Crepe
Apparently two of my pals recently had their birthdays so we ordered two different slices for each of them.

French Vanilla
Swiss Chocolate Velvet
Each of the slices costs RM9.90 which is a fair price for mille crepe in KL.

My Verdict - Meh
Now I've heard about Nadeje in Melaka and Food Foundry in Section 17 provides a better mille crepe than Humble Beginnings but I can't assure that yet as I've not really tried other mille crepes other than Humble Beginnings so I can't really give an opinion about that.

But for my first try on mille crepe I would give mille crepe a Meh rating. Some of you may argue with me on that but for me I find mille crepe overrated as it is just a stack of crepes and cream and even though it is a special creation it doesn't make me beg for more which is kind of a letdown for a dessert.

As for Humble Beginnings, I loved their cafe and it is quite cozy except for their tall chairs which can be slightly unbalanced at times. Their mille crepe is quite good especially the cream which gives out a full flavour without being too sweet. Their layers of crepe however was disappointing as it is a bit chewy and not as soft as it is supposed to be but it could be because we went there after dinner which is late.

I do recommend to try it at least once though as it could be delicious for those with a sweet tooth but it didn't really click for me.

Happy Birthday!

Location
Humble Beginnings
30 Jalan Telawi
Bangsar Baru
59100 Kuala Lumpur
Malaysia
http://www.humblebeginnings.com.my

3 comments:

  1. What is your scale of ratings?
    Meh is classified as __/10?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really have a scale out of 10 yet but for me Meh is more like tried it and wouldn't drive all the way for it unless someone asked me to.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete